Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Training a Virginia creeper

On Jul 7, 3:55*pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Having sweated blood in removing a common ivy that was growing up the gable
of our house, I'd now like to train a Virginia creeper up there instead.

There's been a VC growing by the gable end for some time but it's never been
able to get a good enough grip on the painted pebbledash to gain any height.
What's the best thing to train it up? *Trellis, plastic mesh, vine eyes &
wire or something else?

For climbers generally, vine eyes are traditional. A wire hanging from
the loft soffits also works and is less work to fit, but best attach
to the loft joists rather than the soffit.

Rampant climbers can be kept withn the bounds of sanity by just
cutting through the main stems where wanted, and not pulling anything
off.

NT