Old 16-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Fringe Ryder

Default UV lights really work.

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
I recently installed a 40 watt UV light on my 4000 gallon pond that was
pretty green. You could see down maybe a foot. Each day after installing

you
could see down another 6". After a week the pond is crystal clear down to
the 5' bottom. I never really knew if these things would work or not, but
now I am a believer.

"Ted" sez:
Question,

Do they really work well for everyone else? I usually have pea soup in the
spring only and wondered if this would work. If I only ran it in the spring
for a couple of months would I have to still change the bulb out every year?
What is the wattage range to figure electricity costs?

Works for me well. You shouldn't need to change the bulb frequently if
generally running it only a few months; the bulbs last about a year of
24-hour use due to phosphorescent burn-off, which only happens under power.

Mine is 15watts I think. At our local power cost of 8.9 cents/kWh (which
is recently raised from about 5 cents less than two years ago), it's still
under one dollar per month of 24-hour usage.

I have the "AquaFrog", which was very unknown when I got it but now is
widely carried. It sure simplified plumbing! g You can see it in the
fourth-from-bottom photo at...
http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/MyPond.html