Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Last week we had some large Leylandi conifers taken down in the back garden. The "tree surgeons" doing the job dropped one right on top of our blackcurrant bushes and they are smashed to peices.
The heavy clay ground they were planted in is also covered in Montbretia with lots of other invasive plants that are a constant pain that we want to be rid of.
My plan as a complete novice now is to remove the 3 blackcurrant bushes and to transplant them into large containers and prune them back hard to get rid of all the smashed wood.
The ground then treat with sodium chlorate and cover with black membrane to have a fresh start next year.
I've just lifted some black plastic up that was put down for a couple of years while some stuff was stored on the vegetable patch. Loadsaweeds have now grown up. Your soil is full of dormant seeds so don't think you will get rid of the weeds in one go. But black plastic will get rid of a lot of the hard-to-get rid of ones, provided you take out the bindweed roots.

Chlorate is for putting down before you pave something, not before you grow stuff on it. Use roundup as they say.

Your blackcurrants will recover.