Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default July gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Waiting for the warmer weather and have started to buy some seeds.
Got some Kale which i could probably plant now. There is also Okra
(never tried it b4), radish and I got some white sage.

You have been busy! But tell me, what are you planning to do with
the OKra?
I too have been eyeing it off in the seed cattle dogs, but the only
thing I know about it is that its supposed to mulicaginous and that
it is an ingredient in gumbo.

Since I'm not overly mad on snot textured things and I've never tried
gumbo, I'm curious about your plans. 'Spose I can always give it
some garden room and work from there as I'm sure there'll be a Yank
somewhere on usenet who'd trip over themselves to tell me what to do
with it (foodwise as opposed to jamming it wise).

If you pick them small (about 5cm) before they get stringy they are great
fried whole in egg and breadcrumb. You get the flavour which is really
good in a package that is soft inside and crunchy outside. Add a touch of
salt and squeeze of lemon and they walk off the plate.

David

Wanted to try in a Indian curry where they are known as Bhindi. Plan to pick
them when they snap rather than bend from what I have read that is less than
7.5 cm. Also the research has said to wash them throughly and dry them with
paper towels to reduce to stickiness. I am told you can eat them raw and
that you can deep fry them. The mature seeds are used as a coffee
substitute. I figure if I don't like them to give some to the neighbours who
hail for southern USA so they can have gumbo. I also have a asian store that
sells herbs and spices and has fresh produce so will swap for goodies there
if they are happy with the arrangement.

I want to try these after having a chat to an Indian lady one day about
Drumstick curry. I have access to a moringa tree which produces 30 - 40 cm
pods. They are delicious and I look forward to having them for the 3 months
they are in season. She told me that if I like the drumsticks I would love
okra.

You won't be restricted to those from the USA for liking these. Those on the
subcontinent will eat the with relish and I am told those from the middle
east love them. There is a "but" though and that is if they are picked at
the right stage. So being a virgin okra grower this year is going to be an
experience!

I am also told you have to pick them at the right time or they mature to
fast and the plant decides it is time to shut down just like beans. Oh and
also the leaves can bring out rashes on people so you have to tread lightly.
As I do gardening work the list of plants I have to avoid is growing.
English ivy kills me, Rosemary and lavendar are not far behind. So I will be
extra careful handling okra.

Richard