Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Buzzard Buzzard is offline
Registered User

Location: I live between my house in South Wales and our narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon canal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I've just lifted some black plastic up that was put down for a couple of years while some stuff was stored on the vegetable patch. Loadsaweeds have now grown up. Your soil is full of dormant seeds so don't think you will get rid of the weeds in one go. But black plastic will get rid of a lot of the hard-to-get rid of ones, provided you take out the bindweed roots.

Chlorate is for putting down before you pave something, not before you grow stuff on it. Use roundup as they say.

Your blackcurrants will recover.
Thanks for the replies and helpful advice.
I will forget the overkill with the sodium chlorate then and go for the suggested gentler option.
The plants Im trying to persuade to leave from this bit of ground are monbretia, brambles, rampant honeysuckle and ivy, 99 percent of which has invaded from the old bat next door (bless her cotton socks).
Reference the conifers. Im afraid it wasnt my idea to remove them and its the end result of a fearsome battle that has been raging between myself and my neighbour for the last 3 years.
The good news is that I did manage to save three of the conifers because one I put bat boxes in them three years ago and the bats obliged and two the collared doves have nested in the trees now for the last 8 years and are considerably more tame than my old budgie.
I fought long ,hard and dirty for those trees lol.