Old 08-07-2009, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sueb sueb is offline

Default Artichokes not budding

On Jul 8, 7:31*am, "gunner" wrote:
These are just thoughts. * Artichokes are not on my grow list *up here so
take my advice with a grain of salt.

You mentioned that your "not doing
anything to them" and that you live in UT.

*I would agree w/ David, these are most likely underfed and probably heat
stressed so the energies of the plant are focused into maintaining growth
right now.

In choosing a nutrient and schedule, *understand a flowering/bloom
fertilizer mix will enable the plant, but it will not trigger flower/seed
production in plants. The plant's specific conditions must be met, such as
the light cycle which is a trigger. If interested,http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/7221.pdf
has a reference to gibberellic acid, a growth regulator .

Follow the USU recommendations of heavy N and water;
*http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...HG-2003-03.pdf.
There is also the recommendation of cutting back in both of these