Old 09-07-2009, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Curly Kale

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...
The thread about spinach and chard reminded me I had a freebie packet of
'Nero di Toscana' kale that I'd forgotten all about. I'd been meaning to
try a few plants of that this year but it says sow April to June, so I
assume I'm a bit late to get any started off this time around.

What's the panel's verdict on kale as a winter veg? Is it good eating? I
can't recall ever having any.

You're better off to sow in September and let it last the winter, otherwise
it might bolt. It's a great veg. for the 'hungry gap' in late winter.
Tastiest cabbage I've ever eaten, better than those boring pale green heads,
and not tough at all. Wonderful for stir fry, too. We have some going now,
but will sow again in September.

someone