Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Disaster averted!

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 07:28:45 EDT, Elizabeth wrote:

Came home late from Independence Day festivities to discover pond
pumps sucking air! Thanks to the good advice of Jan and others from
many years ago, pumps were not on the bottom. Nevertheless, fish had
little more than enough to be wet.

That had to be scary to come home too. Good thing you took a look and
didn't go straight to bed.

Added just enough water Saturday night to cover the pumps. Had no
Stress coat or dechlor on hand. Sunday morning I got the water
conditioner and set the sprinkler over the pond to begin a slow fill.

Bet you'll always have this on hand from now on. ;-) That's another thing
we preach, always have enough dechlor to water change your whole pond.

Despite radical temperature difference and huge water quality
difference, the fish seem healthy and happy tonight.
I still need to adjust general hardness,, currently 0ppm.. Luckily we
are expecting several inches of rain this week which will help with
alkalinity, currently 300ppm and pH currently 9.0.
Is there anything specific I should be prepared for as far as the fish
are concerned?
Any good ideas how to raise GH when KH is so high?

So your KH is 300ppm but your GH is 0 ppm? I didn't know that was possible.
I been trying for a couple days to locate some info... and my reply here
has been sitting. One of the people said something about chalk? Another
Epsom Salts, you might want to ask in Koiphen or another favorite forum if
no chemistry person shows up to verify those suggestions. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us