Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree experts - Rowen Tree

endymion wrote:
I dont post often. I tend to lurk but I have a problem.

I have a Rowen tree ( one that has white berries not the usual red ones).
Its a centre piece in my garden ( inherited ) and I am guessing is about
15 years old. I have been in this house 10 years and it was I think
planted by my predecessor , circa 1994. I have pictures from 1996 which
show it as a smallish tree. It might be a fraction older.

That the preable. Anyway , its died suddenly. It started out the season
budding and leafing and now the leaves have died back and shriveled. I
have tried breaking a stem and it seems to be dying back. There is one
branch - and offshoot which still seems to be alive but that might also
have some die back on it.

I have done nothing to the tree. I have done nothing to the garden and
nothing else seems to have a problem. Any suggestions as to what might be
wrong? Is it going to die? Should I take the whole thing out? Or is it
just this years growth and should I cut it back . Or something else?

Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately it looks as though Ragnar has found the likely cause. If it
is phytophthora, don't compost anything from it. If you can, cut it down
(trying as carefully as possible not to spread any sawdust around) and burn
it.

--
Jeff