Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Looking for a new server....

Thanks, guys. Chris, I know about Flickr. It does seem a bit limited as far
as discussion is concerned. There is always the Facebook option, too.

Diana

wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:33:02 -0400 in
Diana Kulaga
wrote:
Hi, all,

I've been spending some time looking for a new portal to access Usenet,
as
we've been discussing. Before registering anywhere, I thought I'd ask a
question or two.

You know you can register for multiple ones.

Motzarella.org has become eternal-september.org. On the home page, it is
pretty clear that it supports *text* groups. Is anyone still using this,
and
if so can you still access abpo?

Ray Banana added ABPO shortly after i signed on.
I can see binaries posted by other eternal-september users fine.
Some outside ones appear fine.
I'm disinclined to do any of the pay services with binaries,
so I cannot check outbound propogation. The individual that shills
the Teranews $3.95 one time fee can sign up for an eternal-september
account, post a binary, and check propagation.

Bignews.usenetmonster.com: I can find it, but it takes a loooonnnng time
download the home page. I stopped waiting after about 60 seconds. Is this
normal, or is there a glitch today?

Does anyone use Terranews?

Look in the farewell thread. The guy that shill's Teranews
just posted again on that thread.

All info helpful and appreciated.

You should have started looking for free text USENET providers
and started using them last year.

Considering a recent lawsuit where a binaries USENET providers was
found liable for distributing copyrighted material it did not
have license to distribute, I reiterate "Start using something like
flickr. Post the URLs to your pictures in USENET postings
that describe your wonderful photos."

One of the things on my plate for my second job is providing
an image gallery service to those that don't like the terms and
conditions on flickr. Unfortunately, that means a pay service.

Diana

--
Chris Dukes