Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default goji berries

Many moons ago, I used to sell Lycium barbarum as informal hedging and
in those days we called it 'Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree' or more simply
'Wolf berry'. It's a very easy shrub to grow and is very tolerant of
exposure, making it excellent for windy situations especially near the
sea. Very occasionally you see it growing wild and left to its own
devices, Lycium makes a medium to large, somewhat untidy mound of
long, flexuous stems. In full flower it is modestly attractive and
for a short time before the birds dive in, the berries make a
reasonable show.

It seems to thrive best on well-drained soils and all naturalised
plants that I've seen have been growing on sandy soils, which may
indicate its preferences. That said, I planted a short run of it in
the Kuyper marl (a very heavy, sticky clay that bakes absolutely solid
in summer) at my nursery and it did very well. The plants came
through the severe freezing conditions of the 1981/2 winter with temps
down to -20C without damage, so hardiness isn't an issue.

An infusion of the young shoots steeped in hot water for a few minutes
was supposed to have "restorative properties". I tried it once and
discovered it was very definitely and rather immediately purgative! So
where senna pods fail, this may the next thing to try.
Understandably, I've never been tempted by the berries.