Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Canning Peppers

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Bill who putters wrote in
:

It is not just a matter of cost if you can believe that. Ripe
warm
moist sugar dried slow is I'd guess much better than kiln dried.
Add a bit of cinnamon or clove and it becomes fun/

got some notes on drying pineapple you can share? sounds like a fun
project (& a break from apples).
lee

I use a nine shelf dehydrator which is electric. Each shelf 16 about
16X18 inches. Set temp for 135 F.

Remove pineapple skin and the core. Slice about half inch thick. Do
plain or marinade in juice like raspberry or dust with cinnamon etc.

Run 8 hour and check as your dew point may vary.

We do mostly peach, apples, nectarines and pineapple as a rare treat.

Store in a dry clean glass jar in a day place. Fill only 1/2 way as
moisture can be resorbed and that is not good. Should last 2 years.

Makes good gifts.

Bill

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09309.html

PS I never do this.

"Pretreat fruit pieces by dipping in an ascorbic acid, citric acid,
lemon juice or sodium metabisulfite solution"

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/