Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default goji berries

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:56:37 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 9 July, 17:06, Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone successfully grown goji berries?
I bought some plants by mail order (T&M) last year. *They survived the
winter and looked quite healthy early on, but now are losing their
leaves and looking sad. *They have NOT dried out,and *are in a sunny
position.
Do they need less water, or shade?
Any experiences or comments please?

Pam in Bristol

I first came accross Goji berries in the mid 90's, it was growing in a
derilict garden behind a shop in Barry Dock (near Cardiff) it was
growing in rubble and was shaded from the sun by the buildings to the
South of it, the garden was on a slope so well drained.
It was thriving on neglect.
It was a good 6ft accross and around 4ft tall, loads of small flowers,
and I found it was called The Duke Of Argyll’s Tea Tree.
I dont know how it got there and if it had been used for anything, I
had a couple of cuttings which I kept for 2 or 3 years but didn't
bother as it wasn't a very interesting plant, and I'm not in the
habbit of sticking strange berries into my mouth to see if they are
edible
I stil have to plant my Goji plants out, they have been in pots now
for almost 2 years, and are not happy.
It was only when I saw them in growth that I realised what I had had a
few years ago
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks David, and Dave P and Stewart R H .
I omitted to say that mine are in a big pot. Maybe they would prefer
open ground which would be on my allotment. Maybe I've watered too
much.
I've only eaten the dried berries before, and they are pretty
tasteless. I was curious to try the fresh ones which are said to be
highly nutritious.
All advice appreciated.

Pam in Bristol