Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Help My Blue Rug Junipers

"Bill" wrote in message
I have 344 Blue Rug Junipers planted on the hillside in front of my
house. They were planted 13 years ago. They are quite large and
healthy. The drainage is good and they get enough sun. The problem is
that moss is growing on the lower branches and killing them. This
season, for the first time, some moss is also growing on the exposed
upper branches. I do not know how to attack the moss which is hidden
underneath the branches. Is their a spray which would penetrate the
juniper branches without hurting them and also kill the moss?

I would really appreciate any help that I can get.

I have blue rug junipers in my shrubery beds in front of my house. When I
first planted them they looked very puny, they were in 6" pots. I planted
six on each side. After four years they completly covered the ground so
that no weeds grow through. They began to get lichens growing on the
branches so I pruned away those parts. The Junipers grew back so that it's
time to prune again before the lichens return. That's a lot of plants you
have, must be a big hillside. How far apart are they planted? Sounds like
they're over grown, not allowing the sun to penetrate and dry the ground and
the plants. After 13 years they're probably growing one over another, they
likely need a good pruning. I would cut away like half of each plant. I
assume you have no deer or they would prune them for you, right down to
nubs... that's what happened to mine the first winter so I put up a fence.
If they're healthy plants they will grow back, and fast.