Old 16-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Pam

Default Driveway blocks?

RWL wrote:

Someone once told me that they had some type of concrete blocks
embedded within the lawn so that when the coal truck backed up to
deliver, it didn't sink in and leave ruts. When I looked at the area
in question, I didn't see them in the grass, so I don't know what they
look like, but they must have done the job.

Is there a special name for these blocks? I haven't checked at Lowe's
or any of the local garden centers yet, so pardon my ignorance, but
are they a common item? If so, what are they called? How easy is it
to install them? Any tips on doing the job right? Have they worked
well for anyone else?

Typically called "turf blocks" and they are laid in exactly the same
manner as any other paving material. They are pretty common in this area
through any large masonry or landscape materials supplier. They are
invaluable in areas with heavy storm run-off as they are far more
permeable to water penetration than large expanses of solid concrete, as
well as for the purpose you mention. There is a good sized shopping center
near here which is fashioned rather like an old town - all the shops and
buildings are old houses trucked in and recycled for retail purposes. Very
natural, garden-like plantings and turf blocks are used extensively in the
parking area - a very handsome application.

Check out this link for a view - the turf blocks are the items to the
right:
http://www.lid-stormwater.net/permea...s_maintain.htm

pam - gardengal

TIA