Old 13-07-2009, 12:48 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisxiv[_2_] View Post
I was newbie here a few years ago. Haven't posted for a while and what do
you know, in terms of knowledge and skills at least I'm still a newbie!

I have a lot of Lavender and Hebe in my garden. They look great but I'm
unclear as to what to do once the summer is over. Should I be chopping them
back for the winter? If so, when and how vigorously?

Oh, and Ceanothus too. I left mine alone over the past two winters as I
liked the size. It now fails to flower to any significant extent and I'm
wondering if it's because I didn't prune it. Any suggestions?

Expect more basic questions to come!

Thanks in advance for any advice...

MA
Lavender - shear off the flowers either now or when over. If now, you still have time to dry them. In spring, clip over, making sure you do not cut into old, hard wood.

Hebe - dead head; cut back to new bud.

Ceanothus - http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantf...ia-lilac_2.asp