Old 13-07-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Peas & beans not setting - no bees

Davy writes
My crop of mangetout is well down on last year and my runner beans are
not setting at all.

Earlier in the year we had more honey bees than for years; but none now.
Instead we have lots of bumble bees, as many as a dozen on a single
flowering plant - but none on the runner beans. The RHS state that
bumble bees cannot polinate runner beans. The runner flowers are
completely devoid of insects. I have allowed red and white clover to
flower in my lawn and they have a fair number of bumble bees too.

What are others experience this year - are your peas and beans covered
in bees?

Much the same experience as yours. I blamed my poor husbandry (I have
been busy on other things this year) but have been beginning to wonder
if it was lack of bees. Didn't know bumblebees can't pollinate runner
beans - we've had nothing much but bumble bees and hoverflies for the
last couple of years.
--
Kay