Old 13-07-2009, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Question?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Frank Booth Snr wrote:

If you want to deter slugs from getting to your clematis, just
sprinkle plenty of sharp grit around the the base of the plant to form
a barrier. Slugs hate crawling over anything sharp or rough-edged.

I think this idea of deterring slugs and snails with grit or rough edged
stones / egg shells etc is over-rated. Either that or the little critters
here in France are mean and hard. S.A.S. Slugs. They have no problems
crossing ten feet of sharp granite chippings on my patio then scaling a
wooden table to reach some juicy seedlings in a seed tray.

I think slugs don't "hate" such things so much as mildly dislike them, and
may go around such obstacles - unless they sense something desirable on
the other side to reach.

--
David in Normandy.

We have eradicated the Slug and Snail problem with the band of copper wire
:-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk