Old 13-07-2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Fructose and Sucrose

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

enigma wrote:
Bill who putters wrote in
:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?tool=pubmed&
pubmedid =19381015

"Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages
increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin
sensitivity in overweight/obese humans"

Abstract and whole study at above URL.
which is yet another good reason not to fill a baby/toddler up with
apple juice... and most "juice drinks" aimed at parents as "healthy"
are nothing but empty calories, consisting of mostly apple juice
(fructose)
lee

Did not read whole article but should apply also to sucrose, regular
table sugar, as it is a dissacharide of fructose and glucose.

HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup has been the cheap sweetener of choice in
processed foods for decades. Soft drink makers may be backing away from
it now, but the damage has already been done.

Now I have to look it up. I believe normal corn syrup is glucose but
they isomerize part to high fructose. A postscript in Chemical and
Engineering News was complaining about it. I'll see if I can find it.