Old 13-07-2009, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
charliekilo charliekilo is offline

Default Soil on Lawn

"malcolm" wrote in message
like to know more
malcolm smith
"headware" wrote in message
I see a lot of people around my neighborhood putting what appears to
be some sort of soil or compost on the problem spots on their lawn.
What are they putting on their lawn and what is the purpose of this?
Is this some sort of lawn care cure-all or are there specific
situations in which this is a good thing to do?

By the way, I have a St. Augustine lawn, as do most people in my
neighborhood.

Thanks,
Dave

On a related note, last fall my wife and I were dumping the soil out of a
few pots from which the deer the (supposedly deer resistant) plants. The
soil was made-up mostly of potting soil with a little added sand. We dumped
it (only about 10 gallons worth) on a couple of low spots in our yard and
raked in.

Note: We have St. Augustine and our yard is full sun -- we live on top of a
ridge in west Austin with complete exposure to all of the elements -- rain,
sun, wind, heat, cold, etc.

When winter came, the grass turned brown as usual...except for the places
where there was a little potting soil...the grass in those areas stayed
green, green all winter long. Now if I could just afford to cover my entire
yard with potting soil!