Old 13-07-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
endymion endymion is offline

Default Tree experts - Rowen Tree

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
endymion wrote:

Unfortunately it looks as though Ragnar has found the likely cause. If it
is phytophthora, don't compost anything from it. If you can, cut it down
(trying as carefully as possible not to spread any sawdust around) and
burn it.

I think that must be correct. I chopped down all the dead stuff just because
I was loathed to cut the whole tree . There were still a couple of branches
on an off shoot of the orginal trunk that looked alive. However, I moticed
today that one of those is going the same way. Its starts at the top of the
branch and works down. It seems to be happening after the tree has leafed
and flowered but jut before it gets to berries.

Anyway, I have taken all the branches off now and am waiting for my husband
to put a chain saw through the main trunk . Its all being piled on the
burning heap we have.

Thanks for the help.