Old 13-07-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sutartsorric sutartsorric is offline

Default Frogs

On 2009-07-13 19:08:39 +0100, "endymion"
said:

"endymion" wrote in message
I seem to have lost all my frogs. I had a colony over 30 strong a
couple of years ago. I know the untimely cold last winter ( 2007/8) *
limited the breeding that year but I had some back last year.
Unfortunately all the little taddies got eaten by dragon fly lava in
the pond. I cleared the pond but no frogs this year.

They usually arrive about Valentines day. My mother has frogs and
spawn. Hers usually arrive just after mine. I guess I am frog less
then? I don't suppose there is a solution to this really is there?
Anything I can do?

I know this is an old post. I thought I would update it on my froggies.
* I think I had two little frogs arrive very very late. *The deposited
a load of spawn ( or rather the female did). I didn't see them. It was
none yesterday, spawn today and gone tomorrow.

I nurtured the spawn as best I could. *I saw some of it at least reach
taddies stage. *Then it seemed to disappear altogether. * This is a re
newed pond now - so no iris and no roots etc to stop the taddies
getting to water. I thought they may have been lost, But this last week
I have seen a small ( about the size of a thumb joint ) frog in the
pond , sitting happily on a stone and swimming around. he / she has now
disappeared again. But joy of joys! I was mowing the front lawn and I
managed to see ( and miss) *the tiniest of frogs crawling in the *
grass. I left a large patch for him/ her to live in - although there is
plenty of long grass and cover around the pond area now. *I am guessing
that is one of ( even if the only one) *of this years little taddies.

So I may have lost my colony but I am living in hope for next spring. g

Kind of Build It and They Will Come, isn't it? *;-) *I'm so glad you
found some. *We had at least 36 frogs on one day in the pond this
spring. *I haven't seen one froglet yet but they'll be around
somewhere, hiding.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

On the same subject, would duckweed discourage frogs? My pond is
covered in it now and I have given up clearing it because there is too
much and it multiplies so fast that it has recovered the pond again in
less than a week. I used to have frogs but haven't seen any recently
and I wondered if the duckweed is the reason?