Old 13-07-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Disaster averted!

muriatic acid will not harm the fish if the drop in pH is gradual (a sudden increase
is more harmful, it can precipitate dropsy).
I know that plain dolomitic limestone is not very soluble at high pH, dont know about
the reef stuff.
"Salts" is a generic term. if you mean NaCl, then I dont think other salts will
affect it. I am not sure what salt tests test. Definitely the chloride ion is what
is why people add salt to protect fish from nitrite poisoning, and, the chloride ion
is what people perceive as "salty", so if I HAD to guess, my best guess is salt tests
test for the chloride ion.
Ingrid

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:39:19 EDT, Elizabeth wrote:
Now, with the fish in the pond, I am not comfortable trying to break
the alkalinity ( oh it would be so easy).
Having done some research, I think my course of action will include
reef grade calcium chloride and magnesium. I believe it will be
soluble even in high KH/pH conditions.
Next question: Will it affect salt levels? And do salt tests measure
the sodium or the chloride?

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago