Old 14-07-2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default newscript column in C&E News

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

This is article. Actually high fructose syrup is not that different
from sucrose which I would assume under the acidic soda conditions would
invert to the 50/50 mixture of fructose and glucose. Brings back old
memories as one summer I worked in a control lab at ICI in plant that
made sorbitol and mannitol which are the hydrogenated products of
glucose and sucrose. Sorbitol and mannitol are dietetic type sweetners
but consuming to much has laxative action.

Trouble with logic is that it always hinges on its premise that may, or
may not be correct.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/532433/#imagetop
Soda Warning? New Study Supports Link Between Diabetes, High-fructose
Corn Syrup

So it appears that the Journal of Nutrition is battling it out with
PubMed over the toxicity of HFCS (IIRC nutritionists are paid well by
large companies like Kelloge, ConAgra, Nestl, Cargill, Kraft,
Pepsico, and General Mills to tout their products).

That just leaves us with, Dicarbonyls attacking the mitochondria
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=2639773
and the GMO enabler, Cabbage Mosaic Virus (CaMV).

Think I'll just try and stick with stevia.

Had never heard of it but brief google shows it has detractors too.
Of interest to all those that profess "organic", all these sweeteners
are natural products