Old 14-07-2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
SteveB[_11_] SteveB[_11_] is offline

Default Garden hose

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

A coil method of
one coil one way, and the next reversed works great, but few can master
it.

By far the best method to use.

One note though is that once a cable / hose / wire has been abused and
kinked, it won't coil well no matter what technique you use.

Problem with the el-cheapo Wal-Mart/Home-Depot/Costco hoses (yes, even
Costco sells these piece of crap hoses) is that it is so very easy to kink
them. And as many here have pointed out, once it kinks, it will keep
kinking in the same place. I have several of them that I keep on the
ground in my garden - I don't coil them up when done, they stay in place
where I need them and I just drag them around as needed. And the !@#$
things kink so easly I'm ready to throw the whole lot of them in the trash
and go buy an industrial quality hose that I can use without kinking....

My epiphany came when I had a driveway put in. The company crushed my hose
in front of the house. They bought me another. A Goodyear 1" black 75
footer with nice cast brass fittings. I tell you what, that hose was
probably $50 or more. More than I would have ever spent. It's still going
strong after five years, and doesn't look used. I've bought a couple since
then, and there's just no comparison. With the money I've spent for shitty
hoses, I could have good ones everywhere I have hoses. The end sprayers
thread on so much better, and the hose bibb connectors don't leak, too.

Steve