Old 14-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Freedom_Spark Freedom_Spark is offline
Registered User

Quote:

It's looking pretty good now.

Most people would grow it from seed and have quite a few plants. But the
seed doesn't germinate as well the second year, so I can see the
attraction of growing plants rather than buying seeds that you won't use
all of.

I don't think it is particularly fussy about conditions, but I can't see
it being happy in a hot dry position. It doesn't like getting
waterlogged either. But it's quite forgiving. I tend to leave mine in a
pot, because a) it seems a lot of effort to plant something out that I'm
only going to use for a year and b) the veg area is the other end of the
garden, whereas I can grow it in a pot just outside the kitchen door - I
much more likely to use fresh herbs, particularly in winter or on rainy
days, if I can just dart outside to grab them while the onions are
gently frying in the pan.

No - next year it will put up a flower shoot and will start getting
tough. Best to start anew each year.

To give you and idea, I'd feel happy about picking a couple of leaves
from that plant, and then another couple of leaves once it's grown two
more to replace the ones you've picked.

--
Kay
Thanks for the advice Kay, very helpful. I saw a few people growing it on allotments near my university & they had absolutely huge plants of curled parsley, I've realised now they've probably sown lots of seeds. I like your idea of having it in a pot, is it possible to grow inside in the winter? I think I might try & sow seeds & increase the quantity of my plants for next year. Thanks again.