Old 14-07-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

On Jul 14, 11:46*am, "Spider" wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:09:21 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my compost bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. *I am so
smug,
it's painful! *I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going to be
impossible to live with this week :~)).

The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. *I put in a good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water only
rarely if the contents seem dry. *They are cold heaps, although they get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this
really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. *Might just as
well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

The late Geoffrey Smith once said that compost should be such that you
could fancy it in a sandwich. *Anyone fancy a sandwich?

Pam in Bristol

Mine looked really yummy. *I offered RG ('Him indoors') compost pie for
dinner, but he turned it down. *There's no pleasing some people.

Spider

LOL. I have been adding chicken poo to mine and it seems to be
working, without it, the contents hadn't even started to break down, b