Old 14-07-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default newscript column in C&E News

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:
are natural products
Reminds me of one of my favorite stories when I was working.
Eating at company cafeteria in US, only artificial sweetener available at
the time was Sweet & Low with saccharine. At company cafeteria in
Canada, all that was available was Sweet & Low with cyclamate. But, at
company cafeteria in Switzerland, the Sweet & Low contained both
saccharine and cyclamate. US considered cyclamate carcinogenic while
Canada considered saccharine carcinogenic and Switzerland was not
concerned about either.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/704432
ENDO 2009: Use of Artificial Sweeteners Linked to 2-Fold Increase in
Diabetes

Not my point but I have no problem with artificial sweeteners, i.e. my
blood sugar.

Use of such additives depends on the ruling authority, in the US, the FDA.

In the case of food additive, sucralose, which I don't like the looks of
chemically, took over 20 years to get FDA approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

My point is that manufactured foods should be scrutinized for a long
time before they enter the food chain. We are 20 - 50 years into
artificail sweeteners, and just now we find out that thy are bad for
you? HFCS seems so innocuous, yet it is having health effects. How long
before we find out the impact of manufactured food additives, and GMOs?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn