Old 14-07-2009, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Compost

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:57:04 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Ah! You have answered my question. I like the idea of snail shells as
cane toppers but I generally tread on them, so defeat the purpose.
Must try not to and put them straight into the compost instead. I was
at Barnsdale Gardens on Sunday and they used old, small plant pots as
cane toppers. A bit like Mr McGregor.

Charlie uses wine corks, she says sneakily. Just to be fair, I should
probably explain that he doesn't drink the contents of every bottle
they once topped but gets given a lot!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I find the best cane toppers, on the allotment anyway, are those
little Actimel bottles. They don't blow away, and also make a good
rattling (anti bird) noise when it's windy. I have to use something
highly visible becauseof my poor sight.
Now all I need is weeds which come up saying "Weed" as in Bill and
Ben. I have pulled up the occasional plant by mistake. 3 yesterday,
during a larger than usual weed-clearance!

Pam in Bristol