Old 14-07-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Problem with honeysuckle

On 2009-07-14 18:02:14 +0100, "Ivan" said:

As I am a relative newcomer to gardening I hope someone here may be to
help me with a couple of problems.
My young grand daughter has been telling me that 'the honey bees are in
trouble', therefore we have to do our bit to try and encourage as many
of them into our gardens as we can.
Fair enough I saw on the telly that bees are particularly attracted to
honeysuckle and lavender plants, so I went to our local garden centre
and purchased a 'Lonicera americana' honeysuckle which I was informed
was particularly good, at the time I did notice that a couple of the
leaves looked a little suspect (as in photo) but thought that once I
got it into some decent soil with a couple of handfuls of bonemeal (as
seen on TV) everything would be OK, however whilst it still continues
to grow apace the leaves still look far from healthy, whilst the stems
in places appear to have a greyish coating.

Also a lavender that I purchased at the same time started off
wonderfully but that too now appears to be on the wane with some of the
heads now beginning to turn a brownish colour.. Any help will be
greatly appreciated, below is a link to a couple of photos of both the
honeysuckle and the lavender plant.

TIA Ivan

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Anth230542/HonLavr?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKH-i75Yv4gwE&feat=directlink

or
http://tinyurl.com/lwnrs6

I'd take both straight back to the place you bought them from.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com