Old 14-07-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Log edgings

"mo" wrote...
I want to put in some log edgings
http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/content/eb...785/408785.jpg

I am going to use the stuff 'on a roll' - any idea how to put them up? do
I just dig a trench and put them a quarter/halfway in?

What is their average lifeltime?

I have used it for about 30 years and only replaced it once although I have
had to make improvements on the way.
If you bank soil against it on one side it will not hold vertical for long.
I initially used strong wooden posts hammered into the ground wired in
behind the role but they rotted so I now use angle iron metal stakes
hammered in and wire the log roll onto those with thick galvanised wire. I
also now nail the log role onto preserved wooden battens to keep it straight
and put plastic sheeting (old compost sacks black side out) behind the logs
and battens to keep the soil from being in contact with the wood and
therefore keep it dryer, seems to work.
The plastic sheeting also stops mud being washed out through the gaps in the
logs and keeps moisture in the soil behind.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden