Old 15-07-2009, 02:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default grape vine cutting

Hi,

I have a grape vine cutting in a 3-1/2" pot consisting of a woody stem
4mm dia and about 100mm long, 50mm in the soil and the rest in the
air. The new growth is from a bud at the very top of the woody stem
and is now up to its third pair of leaves. It needs repotting soon as
roots are showing at the bottom, and here is the question: will the
old woody stem be able to expand or will it constrain future growth? I
could set it deeper in the new pot so that the soil level came up to
the new growth, from where more roots might develop, or is there a
danger of the new shoot rotting if I do that? What would people
advise?

brian mitchell