Old 15-07-2009, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
R[_5_] R[_5_] is offline

Default Compost

"Roy Norris" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:43:39 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

Snip

You're really lucky to have horse poo. We once bought some horse poo from
Dulwich stable, but the price was rather high. I resent paying for
something that is, in all honesty, free waste. Anyway, 'Him indoors'
won't
have a tetanus shot, so I daren't use HP for fear he gets something he'll
never get rid of. It's just as well I can produce good compost without
it.
I do use chicken poo pellets for a seasonal boost, though.

Spider

I thought you paid for the back breaking work of collecting and
bagging the stuff and feeding the horses / ponies in the first place.

Rather like the old fashioned TV repairer - called out - looked at the
set - thumped it - picture back. Charged £1, that's steep said the
customer; "how do you work that out?" Well said the repairer - the
thumps 6d - knowing where to thump - 19/6d.

You probably need to muliply by 100 to get it up to date.
Feeding horses & ponies is just about the same - but in any case I
think horse manure is now controlled waste so you probably can't buy
it at all nowadays.

It's only controlled waste if collected by a licensed waste carrier with
predominantly man made bedding such as wood pellets or paper product etc.

Organic animal waste is usually exempt in small quantities unless containing
other produce such as fertilizers, weed killers or the like or has other
un-organic stuff in it (Read as collected from an unknown source which might
contain, such as poo heap of stable clearout etc)

Ragwort on the other hand is a controlled weed (Notifiable to the local
authority)and should be burned instead of disposed of, but that don't stop a
lot of yards chucking it in the poo pile so look out for it if you are
collecting manure.