Old 15-07-2009, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Garden hose

"Zootal" wrote:

Actually, Gilmore irrigation products sold in Lowes and Home Depot
come with a lifetime warranty. I've had my 120 foot hose replaced
three times now. No questions asked. It's even easier now in the
modern day with digital. I simply cut both ends off and take a photo
and they send me a new hose. I am certain most people do not take
advantage of this service. So remember, Gilmore hoses, watering
tools, sprinklers, timers...all have a Lifetime Warranty version. Just
look on the packaging.
Victoria

Meh. I'd rather have a good quality product then a piece of junk that
needs replacing periodically. A warranty doesn't do me any good when I
have a broken tool that I need now and the stores are closed until Monday.
Case in point - I made the mistake of buying a cheap off-brand tiller (you
think I would have learned by now to NEVER buy cheap off-brand products).
After two years the handle breaks. Replacement? No problem! Just wait 5
weeks for us to get one from the factory. Spring...ground is dry, but rain
is coming next week. Till the ground now or wait another month or two for
another break in the rain. And my tiller is broken and the best warranty
in the world does me no good because I bought a cheap made in China
plastic piece of crap and it takes 5 weeks to get a replacement handle.
Moral of the story. Never buy cheap plastic made in China (or made
anywhere else for that matter) crap. Fork out the bucks for something good
so it doesn't bite you later.

Apples/Oranges... no comparison between a tiller and a garden hose. For a
few bucks one can easily replace a garden hose with a quick trip to any
store that sells gardening stuff. A tiller is not so inexpensive to replace
(although were I in your spot I'd have rented one for the day). The moral
is not about cheap price so much as it is about never buy machinery except
from a reliable service center nearby that stocks the parts for and services
what it sells. I bought my tiller from the Authorized dealership in town
that sells all sorts of farming equipment including huge tractors... when a
belt broke on my practically new tiller requiring a couple days wait for a
new one to ship they delivered a loaner tiller right to my door, and picked
it up three days later when they brought the new belt, installed and test
ran it. Never buy mechanical equipment except from a reliable dealership
that services what they sell. I would never buy a new tiller, mower,
chainsaw, snowblower and such from a big box hardware just because it's $30
cheaper.