Old 15-07-2009, 12:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

On Jul 1, 7:56*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
We try to keep the lawn the lawn as "natural" as possible, as last year
we ONLY did the Scotts "Weed Control", as we had a problem with
Dandelions EVERYWHERE throughout the yard. Not like 1 or 2 Dandelions,
but hundreds!!!

Using the Scotts multi step program is about as far from "natural" as
possible. What they propose is constantly treating your lawn with
chemicals, whether you have a specific problem requiring them or not.

Given that you think the Scotts weed n feed killed your lawn over
night, the first thing I would do is call Scotts. Getting opinions
from the store or a neighbor is worthless. The neighbor spoting off
about the clover is clueless. There is no way the clover nitrogen
cycle has anything to do with your problem. Also, you put down a
slow release nitrogen, not Amonium Nitrate. Also, putting down
hebicide when it's in the 80's is not a good idea, as it can indeed
damage the grass. But if you applied it anywhere near the correct
rate, there is no way it would turn the whole lawn yellow over
night. For that to happen suggests something was wrong with that
bag.

I'd keep the lawn well watered and see what happens. Just because
it's yellow doesn;t mean it's dead. It's possible it may come back,
however the fact that whatever happened occured so quickly suggests it
may indeed be kaput.

If you want to start reducing the chemicals you are using, start by
not using weed n feed. With a 2 gal tank sprayer, you can apply a
minimal amount of herbicide directly to the weeds. This does 2
things. It minimizes the amount used and it delivers whatever is
used directly to the weeds instead of broadcasting it everywhere.

I also would not be putting down nitrogen hot weather either, as it
promotes fungus and disease. The best times to fertilize are Spring
and Fall.

Finally, if clover is your main concern, I doubt a weed n feed product
is going to do much, if anything to eliminate it. Clover is much
tougher to kill than broadleaf weeds. Look in the lawn/garden center
for products labeled for clover and apply it with a sprayer. That
is assuming you have so much that you want to get rid of it. The
"natural" folks acually prefer clover.