Old 15-07-2009, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Garden materials - higgledy piggeldy

On 2009-07-15 09:17:31 +0100, eden said:

Hi. First post from an amateur gardener!

I have a old brickmakers cottage on farmland and am trying to create a
higgledy-piggedy cottage style/courtyard garden of my 3m x 3m front
garden, prob with some brick/slabs and gravel on ground, maybe a
little planting and then lots of pots.

I want to either create a path or a paving area with old bricks. I was
looking to buy reclaimed bricks from ebay but keep reading on the net
about frost proof etc - am I better buying modern clay pavers? if so
any recommendations for the weathered old look? Also do I need a layer
of hardcore under it or would sand suffice?

Can't help with the techie stuff but herringbone paths are a lovely way
to lay old bricks. And in genuine old cottage gardens, e.g broad beans
would be grown alongside flowers, not kept in a separate area because
every inch of space was used to best effect.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com