Old 15-07-2009, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sort of palm tree has sticky secretion on underside of leaves

In article 1e77abd1-98ad-40d0-ab29-
, says...
Sorry for not being able to offer an accurate description of the
problem but I'm a complete newbie at gardening. I'm posting another
question separately, too. I have a plant that looks a little palm-tree-
ish and it appears to be growing fine. However it has a sticky
secretion on the underside of its leaves and I'd really like to know
what it is.

The whole plant:
http://img204.imageshack.us/i/palmproblem2a.jpg/
The secretion: http://img521.imageshack.us/i/palmproblem2b.jpg/

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Where abouts are you? my first thought when I read your post was that it
would be Cordyline australis which is tolerably hardy but had a tough
winter in many parts this year but after looking at the picture its a
cordyline but what species I am not so sure the trunks look very slender
for australis, the significance of which is that most of the other
Cordylines are not so hardy.
I suspect your plant has suffered from cold damage if it is growing, it
will probably recover, giveing it some feed now may help with the colour
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk