Old 15-07-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Sort of palm tree looks pale and has split leaves

"Paul" wrote in message
Sorry for not being able to offer an accurate description of the
problem but I'm a complete newbie at gardening. I'm posting another
question separately, too. I have a plant that looks a little palm-tree-
ish and it appears to be growing fine. However the newer leaves appear
to be a much paler shade of green that those that existed before I
purchased the plant. In addition, some of the leaves have split down
the middle. This second problem could have been caused by recent
strong winds but the plant is fairly protected.

I've posted a picture of the plant at:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3...lmproblem1.jpg

Paul

The plant in your picture looks like a Cordyline australis and, in truth, it
looks very healthy to me. The *slightly* paler new leaves, I suspect, will
darken as they receive sunlight for longer. They just need to
photosynthesise, which means the plant uses sunlight to feed itself
(chlorophyll in the leaves process sunlight and turns it into sugars which,
in turn, feed the plant).

The older leaves don't look that bad to me. Yes, there is some minor
damage, but it is usual with Cordyline to cut away the old, tatty leaves,
leaving a textured stem as it ages. Put up with them a little longer, if
you can, as they are still green and feeding the plant.

In winter, I loosely tie up the leaves of my Cordyline so the rain doesn't
get into the centre of the plant and rot the crown. I learnt this the hard
way, having nearly lost the plant in its first winter.

Hope this helps.
Spider