Old 15-07-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

Nick wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:

Pathogens in Horse dung? Please advise what and any scientific papers that
back it up. I know it is a big carrier of Tetanus but not heard about
anything else of concern.

Try anthrax.

However, with both tetanus and anthrax, you are likely to have trouble
only if the dung comes from a stable where they shovel dead horses
out with the bedding. Not generally the case ....

I agree there are possibly some other pathogens in Horse dung but in
practice they don't pose much of a risk to human health these days. Not
worth worrying about provided you use normal sensible measures like washing
hands etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden