Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Gordon Couger

Default Biotech Wish List

"Plantigens" wrote in message

"Gordon Couger"
Again some promising things on the horison but the the lead time on

medical
reserch is really bad and the testing is difficult to do as well. If we
could develop drugs like we breed plants we could make a lot faster
progress.

It is sort of happening in the developing of transgenic plants to produce
protein drugs Read all about it at the http://www.MolecularFarming.com

site
Large Scale Bio. is a big player in this field, having been the first
company to build a purpose-built bioprocessing facility.
Prodigene, if they get their act together in environmental safety, have
promising technology and product pipeline.

They keep growing corn and beans in corn and bean country if they would go
to irrigated cotton country where no one grows those crops becase cotton
makes more money they could solve those problems in one step.

The problem with drugs is the testing in humans. We can't do good
statistical studies and we can't disect the subjects after the study. I have
seen more good research done on two pens of hogs than has ever been done on
humans. You gate cut them into two groups and treat one group and use the
other as control and evaluate them at slaughter. In fact most of the
nutrition data for humans is extrapolated from just that kind of work on
hogs.

Gordon