Old 15-07-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Compost

"drtj1960" wrote in message

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;856178']"drtj1960" wrote in message

...-

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:-
;855957'This weekend I sieved through the contents of one of my
compost
bins and
gained a huge quantity of the most glorious crumbly compost. I am so
smug,
it's painful! I have three other bins which are ready, so I'm going
be
impossible to live with this week :~)).
The bins are simply ex-dustbins, upended or well-holed. I put in a
good
variety of materials, mix them (but not *that* often) and add water
only
rarely if the contents seem dry. They are cold heaps, although they
get
quite hot in summer, so they've taken about 9 months to produce this
really
splendid stuff.

I just need some rain now, so I can spread it as mulch. Might just
as
well
let the worms finish the job :~)

Spider

Hi Spider,
I have just started composting this year so far so good! with 3 large
wooden compost bins my husband errected for me. I too have some good
compost but showing my ignorance what do you have to do to sieve the
compost? Many thanks Debs in Bristol
Hi Spider,-
I have just started composting this year on a large scale with 3
large
wooden compost bins husband errected for me, I too have some good
compost but showing my ignorance what do you do to sieve the compost?
Many thanks Debs in Bristol

--
drtj1960-

You will need a large metal sieve (or riddle). You simply fork your
'made'
compost into the sieve, shake the sieve over a roomy container (a
wheelbarrow is perfect) and admire the wonderful crumbly compost that
falls
out. Anything left in the sieve can be heaped aside and put in the
empty
bin when you start again.

I have a few green plastic sieves which I use for other jobs. They are

*useless* for sieving compost. Do get a metal one; they're so much
better.
Spider

Many thanks for that spider Sorry to show my ignorance. I will
certainly do that when I empty the rest of my compost bin.Debs

drtj1960

It's not ignorance, Debs, it's a learning curve. We've all done it. It's
just that we ladies are more curvy than the chaps! :~)

Spider