Old 16-07-2009, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message
At the risk of sounding like a nouveau Victor Meldrew, what's gone
wrong with us?

I had my hands in fresh horse manure a few months ago when I helped a
friend muck out his stables.

My dog was there and thoroughly enjoyed eating horse poo - don't ask
- it's a dog thing. I did try to stop him but that was only a bit more
effective as stopping a gourmand access to free cakes and chocolate

I'm up to date with tetanus and have been since about 5 years old.
What's the problem? Anyone gardening should be... more likely to get
it from soil than horses. Or rusty nails. Stood on them when I was a
kid, and Kate Humble's older brother (yes, she of Springwatch) threw
an electric fencing stake javelin-style at me by accident once and I
still have the scar on my knee.

Immune systems need to be built up, or grown: you won't get one unless
you do the work.

Thank God for a sensible post at long last on horse manure

Get a life some of you.

My daughter and son in law bred Arabs and 'were up to their arms' in horse
muck so to speak for years. Never did any harm

Little story about being toooooooooooooooooooooooo careful and clean. Some
friends had two daughters. "Spotlessly clean" all the time, as was the
house. If one daughter fell over and dirtied her dress, BOTH were washed and
changed clothes. Those two girls were always going down with colds or what
ever there was about. No immune system to fight anything off.
--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk