Old 16-07-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
mark mark is offline

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message
At the risk of sounding like a nouveau Victor Meldrew, what's gone
wrong with us?

I had my hands in fresh horse manure a few months ago when I helped a
friend muck out his stables.

My dog was there and thoroughly enjoyed eating horse poo - don't ask
- it's a dog thing. I did try to stop him but that was only a bit more
effective as stopping a gourmand access to free cakes and chocolate

I'm up to date with tetanus and have been since about 5 years old.
What's the problem? Anyone gardening should be... more likely to get
it from soil than horses. Or rusty nails. Stood on them when I was a
kid, and Kate Humble's older brother (yes, she of Springwatch) threw
an electric fencing stake javelin-style at me by accident once and I
still have the scar on my knee.

Immune systems need to be built up, or grown: you won't get one unless
you do the work.

There seems to be a lot of bull manure in this thread about horse manure.

mark