Old 16-07-2009, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Hawthorn hedge

"Mad Phil" wrote in message

I have a hawthorn hedge at the front of my house. This is kept well
trimmed. Today I noticed a trail of brown web type substance, at the
end I found some orange in colour caterpillars. Where the web was it
looked like the hedge was dead, this may just be because the leaves had
been eaten. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it, will it
kill my hedge or will it recover next year? It's not a wide area but
like a snake trail across the hedge.

--
Mad Phil

We really need a photograph, but google on 'processionary caterpillars' and
see if you can id it. Some of them can be rather nasty.

Spider