Old 16-07-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cinnabar caterpillars was Compost

"K" wrote in message
Christina Websell writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
.. .

"K" wrote in message

Ragwort is a native UK plant which is a primary food plant for the
cinnabar moth, listed on the UK Biodiversity Action Plan as rapidly
declining.

Ragwort is now classed as a noxious weed and there are legal consequences
if
you don't pull it up.

I think the attributions have got mixed and I'm not sure who wrote this.
Could whoever did please provide a reference to the legislation that
classifies ragwort as a noxious weed and describes the legal consequences
of not pulling it up?

I am not aware of it being covered by legislation other than the 1959
Weeds Act (which I described in the snipped portion of my post) and the
Ragwort Control Act 2003 which provide for a Code of Practice to prevent
the spread of ragwort.

The code of Practice can be found at

http://www.defra.gov.uk/FARM/wildlif...op_ragwort.pdf

and I quote: "This code does not seek to eradicate ragwort. Ragwort, as a
native plant, is very important for wildlife in the UK. It supports a wide
variety of invertebrates and is a major nectar source for many insects. In
many situations, ragwort poses no threat to horses and other livestock. It
is natural component of many types of unimproved grassland and is used by
some invertebrate species that have conservation needs. However it is
necessary to prevent its spread where this presents a high risk of
poisoning horses or livestock or spreading to fields used for the
production of forage. A control policy should be put into place were a
high and medium risk is identified"

This is a long way from it being "notifiable to the local authority" as
was stated in the post I originally replied to, or there being "legal
consequences if you don't pull it up." - this would apply only if you
failed to control it in a medium or high risk situation.

Finally, all this legislation applies only to Senecio jacobaea (Common
ragwort) and not to the various other species of ragwort, marsh, hoary
etc.

Cinnabar caterpillars do prefer ragwort but can also feed on grasses.

Can you provide a reference for this? I know it can feed on groundsel and
other species of Senecio, but I have never seen reference for it feeding
on grasses.

This subject was done to death on another group and I was told on good
authority at the time that the cinnabar caterpillar can feed on several
species of grass. I didn't keep the link, I didn't think I would need it
again.