Old 16-07-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:

At last count, three people have died of Hendra Virus.

Let's all start panicking now :-)

Edwina Curry was right all the time :-)

What she said was very probably technically correct at the time, hard to
get the evidence and the farming lobby really didn't like it.

They did clean up their act after egg sales plummeted.

Worse things happened in Belgium in 1999 when their government
deliberately hid massive national contamination of chicken feed with
dioxins and PCBS from waste transformer oil. Dodgy feed merchants
cutting corners and a quality control system that was "industry
friendly" and corrupt at the highest levels.

http://www.ping.be/chlorophiles/en/com/en_di_egg.html

The whistleblower who worked for an insurance company dealing with
mysterious chicken deaths was punished for doing his job correctly.
Shoot the messenger!

Luckily our chickens lived on grain and whatever they could scratch out
of the ground. But eggs and chicken disappeared from supermarkets
overnight when the story finally broke. I can't recall if any of the
culprits were forced to resign but in Belgium it is highly unlikely.

Regards,
Martin Brown