Old 17-07-2009, 04:02 AM posted to austin.gardening
Sqwertz[_2_] Sqwertz[_2_] is offline

Default Bird Sound Identity

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:42:52 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:29:22 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

Giant Cicada

OK. Now that I've read the website some more and heard it again
tonight, this may be it. Even though it sounded very close, I still
have never heard the chirping - just the whistle.

It's like there's only 1 of them in all of southern Austin just
making the rounds. I first heard it at Stasney and Congress really
loud - sounded right overhead (July 11th 4:00am). Then at WM Cannon
and Mopaq the next day and night, and again in San Leana/Kyle the
last 2 nights. It sounds like one big mofo ******* flying around.

What was noticeable tonight is that all the regular cicadas, which
were making a racket at the time, stopped when they heard the sound
close by.

Totally weird.

I'd like to hear it...... There's a Google group that reports sightings
(hearings?) around Austin......

I reported it there, pointing to this thread in a.g. "Cicadas of
Texas" is the group name, IIRC.

It's interesting how everyone describes it now, as well
as historically.

Yep. That's when I had to come to the same conclusion. I spend a
fair amount of time outdoors without an iPod, Bluetooth-anything, or
SUV.

I imagine the regular cicadas are wondering
who the hell that giant monster is that's speaking a similar language......
Best to shutup and not attract its attention...'
Travis Heights apparently has been hearing the same noise....

Those hippies in the Heights are probably just stoned out of their
gourds ;-)

I've heard it pretty clearly for many nights (and even some days).
It's pretty freaky. It sure threw the local cicadas for a loop as
well. I imagine they're pretty freaked-out, too. Heck, it's only
been 70 years since their ancestors heard them.

I can't believe a 2" bug can make *that* much noise.

Thank you for pointing these out to me and relieving me of possible
loss of sanity. I'm just sorry the rest of the folks reading this
haven't heard them to the extent I have. Once you hear it up close,
you'll hear it when it's a few miles away as well.

-sw