Old 17-07-2009, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

On 2009-07-16 13:01:23 +0100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given said:

"George.com" wrote in message

My dogs also enjoy a tasty bit of horse dung.

Dogs really can be such nasty little snots at times.

The other day, I went to visit my neighbour. I give her eggs, she gives me
horse poop and we both think we get the best part of the deal.

One of her tenants who rented one of the houses on her farm died and the
tenant's Corgi ended up being adopted by my neighbour.

The Corgi was lying on the Persian rug under an old church pew in the entry
hall and chewing something with real relish. When we investigated it was a
half moon shaped thing which turned out to be a paring from the horse's hoof
from when the farrier had shod the horses that morning.

I usually have a cast iron stomach but for some reason seeing the Corgi
doing this really turned my stomach.

Oh but this is really well known. When I had a horse I used to take
him off to the farrier every so often and there were always a few dogs
hanging about in a hopeful sort of way. The farrier flung the parings
out the door and the dogs fell on them as if starving! What it is
about dogs eating poo I have no idea but one of mine used to eat fox
poo. I think a dog breeder once suggested to me that it was something
to do with obtaining iron but I have no idea if this is true.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com