Old 17-07-2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Grasshopper Grasshopper is offline

Default Garden Fences

"Davej" wrote in message
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.

I'm assuming you live in a rural area. If its the permanent location for
your garden, this how I would do it. Mark the perimeter about 3' further
out from your current garden. This maintains a pathway around the perimeter
of the garden. Dig a trench about a foot deep, a foot wide, add some 3/8"
rebar offset from center to allow fence post installation, and pour a
concrete curb for provisions for fence posts. While you're pouring the
concrete for the curb, install the fence posts and brace until the concrete
is set. Use 6' or higher heavy pasture fencing. You might try hardware
cloth on the bottom for little varmints, then the regular fencing above
that. You need to get inside the fenced area. Build and assemble a gate of
same height. You'll need the mounting hardware and a gate latch. Don't
trip over the curb...

A few inexpensive solar-powered ornamental lights may aid in sighting night
animals that circumvent your fence.
--
"All men are created equal"
No one said they weren't different.