Old 18-07-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Early Blight on Toms

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:21:46 -0500, Davy
wrote:

For the last two years since moving to Wessex during the wet summers my
toms failed due to late blight.
So this year I grew them in pots against a south-facing wall. So after
all the recent rain I now have early blight. Lower leaves going yellow
with black spots.

However, the toms in one of those simple £14.99 4-shelf patio cloches so
far unaffected despite it being wide open to the rain at the front.

Think I'll give toms a miss next year.

DAvy

It's now at least my 8th year of saying that. There's really nothing
you can do, but it is a bit early for blight. Are you sure that's what
it is? Are there any brown patches on the stems?
Lower leaves turning yellow could be due to drying out in pots. Even
with rain, toms in pots need extra watering.
If it is blight, well hard luck and as you say, with all this wet
weather, we don't stand much chance of avoiding it.
Any one else affected?

Pam in Bristol